Apart from learning different techniques and carrying weapons for self-defense, it is always best to avoid the areas which are commonplace for assaults. Some of the most dangerous places to avoid include:
• Convenience Stores and Gas Stations – More often than not, women assailants hang out in parking lots of convenience stores and gas stations since they know that people who go to these places carry money with them. It is best to plan ahead before going to these places. Make sure that your car is filled up in the daytime, lock your car, and avoid leaving anything valuable in plain view. In gas stations, make sure that your stand with your back to your car with something behind you. Always look around to ensure that nobody is walking up on you.
• College Campuses – College campuses are the fifth most dangerous places for women. It is best to avoid walking alone in the campus especially during night hours. Women are also encouraged to take the advantage of free escorts, who are offered by police departments in campuses if a friend is not around.
• Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) – Since many attackers are aware that you would soon have money when withdrawing from an ATM, these machines are prone to holdup or theft. It is best to go to ATM areas during the daytime while there are security officers in sight instead of withdrawing money during the night.
• Mall Parking Lots – These areas are the second most dangerous places for women since attackers or assailants have ample opportunities to do their crimes. When parking your car in public parking lots, make sure that you act quickly. Close and lock the car door as soon as you get in or out. If you have to bring your purse, it is advisable to carry it in your hand rather than placing it under your arm. It would be easier for attackers to grab your purse if it is placed under the arm.
• Home – Most women think that their homes are the safest places to be. On the other hand, homes are the number one most dangerous place especially for women. This is because assailants know you let your guard down once you are within the vicinity of your home. They are aware that people tend to relax once they reach home. Thus women can be easy targets for robbery, theft, or sexual assaults at their homes.
Assaults which occur in homes are often due to lack of preparation or too much ease. It is best to close your doors and windows once your get home. It would be much better if you can invest in home security systems or CCTV systems to keep assailants away from your home. Another way of tracking if someone has been going in and out of your house is leaving a 20-dollar bill by your front and back door. If the money remains at its place, you are assured that nobody has gone to your house. If the money is lost, you would know that someone has been near your house and prepare you for any kind of assault. Most assailants would instinctively pick up the money.
When going into these places, make sure that you are aware of the surroundings. Attackers or criminals often target people who are unfamiliar with the place they are in. You should also consider staying in well-lit places. Like vampires, assailants would not take chances on showing their faces. Finally, it is important that you remain calm. It is not advisable to stress on losing things. For instance, if the attacker wants your purse, let him/her have it. These things can be replaced but your life or dignity cannot.