A martial arts class is a place where women would be able to develop physical and mental skills which are necessary for defending or protecting themselves against assailants or attackers. Some of the most common and efficient martial arts for women include Krav Maga, Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, and Jeet Kune Do.
• Krav Maga – This is a type of martial arts which was developed in Israel. It has gained in popularity because it is the self-defense system used in the Israeli Defense Force. Krav Maga teaches people in dealing with attackers that are both armed and unarmed.
Women can use Krav Maga for self-dense since its drills include mental and physical techniques for dangerous situations. More so, Krav Maga can protect women from different violent situations including sexual assaults. Women can learn how to use their different body parts including knees and elbows to be able to defend themselves from assaults.
• Tae Kwon Do – This type of martial arts originated in Korea. It is probably
the most popular of all martial arts across the globe. When the term is translated, it means “the way of kicking and punching.” This type of martial arts is often mistaken primarily as a sport because it is seen in the Olympics and martial arts competitions. On the other hand, Tae Kwon Do is primarily developed as a self-defense technique. It can be well suited for women since it deals with kicking. The heights of women are usually shorter than men. In addition, women have weaker upper body strength than men. As such, women are left with using their lower body part to defend themselves. Tae Kwon Do teaches women to incapacitate assailants through devastating kicks.
• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu – This type of martial arts is becoming popular because of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Most of the competitors in the UFC make use of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to defeat their opponents. The grappling techniques of this type of martial arts can benefit women although most females may not be interested in competitive combat. More often than not, women are left defenseless by their attackers especially in sexual assaults.
With Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, women could be empowered in ground fighting specifically when they are pinned under their attackers.
• Aikido – This type of martial arts originated from Japan and is considered as the most different among other types of martial arts styles. Most martial arts styles involve linear, hard, and forceful moves. However, Aikido involves lesser force, which can be perfect for women. Women would not be required to be stronger than their assailants. Aikido teaches women different techniques of throwing and joint locking.
• Jeet Kune Do – This type of martial arts was founded by Bruce Lee, a famed actor and martial arts guru. The intention of Lee when he was developing Jeet Kune Do was to come up with the best and most efficient martial arts techniques from other martial arts styles. Lee had decided to make different martial arts moves and styles into one martial arts system, which is Jeet Kune Do. Women who want to learn Jeet Kune Do can discover how to hit even the closest attacker with any weapon closest to them. For instance, women can hit an attacker in the eyes simply by using their fingers.